Saturday, June 7, 2008

Video To go!

Hey Blogging number two. Is it still a blog if it is only updated a few times a month? Oh well, the new job, fixing up and selling a house and living two and a half hours from home will do that to you.

I might switch to a MSN blog but I will try and fight the beast!

I'm getting the hang of the new job but this whole working to a deadline and rushing to edit everyday is really getting to me. Kent, my reporter, (do shooter's own their reporters?), and I have worked on some great stories but we have to get better at starting to edit more than an hour before deadline. The stories are good but I feel they could be that much better if we had the time to really tweak them.

We can't always get what we want and sometimes you have to just get it on the air. I have to cut myself some slack as it is the first time I've done this kind of editing in eight years, and the segments are getting better so I will enjoy the pressure and take it one edit job at a time.

We had a 17-hour day shooting, driving, shooting, driving in Trail and then feeding in Nelson. Nelson is a great town, it's full of life and I was really impressed the personality of the city. I was not impressed when told I might have to edit on the sidewalk in Nelson. In between having to unplug the editor while Global fed in their story and doing a Live hit at 5pm. Luckily the segment was edited in Vancouver and we went Live at 6pm with no problems. It was a good day.

I am trying to not take it so seriously and do what I can to make ithe stories the best I can with the time I have. I am also trying to laugh more and use the tight time frame as a challenge to beat - this seems to lower my blood pressure and it allows me to cope. My yelling at the edit gear was not really working and I'm sure the head doc next door to our office would like to bring me in for an evaluation :-)

Working streight through the night has never been a problem for me but living away from home is the hardest part. Anyone loooking for a log house on a lake - let me know. We will list in two weeks and then we will look for a new home and life will be that much better.

I love the job and once I get over the growing pains it will be even better.

JC out - next blog I'll get into my nickname.

No comments: